It’s the start of another work week. Here’s what’s going on in the East Valley world of food and drink:
World of Beer
The much-anticipated World of Beer – 58 beers on tap and more than 500 in bottles – finally opens this week on Mill Avenue. The public grand opening is Wednesday, but there’ll be a VIP party tonight and a Facebook fan party Tuesday (“like” their Facebook page to get an invite).
Other opening-week festivities:
- Wednesday: Doors open to public at noon
- Thursday: Ladies Night (ladies get half-off select drafts)
- Saturday: The first “Brewery Spotlight” will feature Four Peaks beers
- Fibber Magees: Any burger for $5
- Fat Willy’s: Any burger for $5 with beverage purchase
- Cove Grill: Cove Burger & Bud Light for $5.99
- Devil’s Advocate: Buy one burger, get one free (also, $1 domestic pints 11 a.m.-4 p.m.)
- Coach & Willie’s: Cheeseburger & fries for $7 (also, $4 Arizona drafts, bottles & cans from 5-close)
- House of Brews: HOB Burger & a domestic pint for $8
Some Monday non-burger deals
- Hungry Monk: All-you-can-eat boneless wings for $9.95
- Nicantoni’s: $1 off manicotti, meatballs, merlot and Menabrea
- Postino: Bruschetta & any bottle of house wine for $20 after 8 p.m.
- Babbo Italian: Spaghetti & meatballs for $5.99
- Uncle Bear’s: $2 off sliders
Some of Monday drink specials:
- D’Vine: $10 off bottles of wine
- El Palacio: $2 margaritas & $3 sangarita after 3 p.m.
- First Round Draft: $2 beer pints; $2 well drinks
- Hungry Monk: $2.50 Blue Moon pints
- BoomBozz Taphouse: $2 domestic pints; $2.50 beer flights
Dog food donations
Animal lovers turned out en masse Saturday at Pittsburgh Willy’s, which was giving away hot dogs in exchange for dog food donations for East Valley shelters. In just five hours, people brought in 2,000 pounds of dry dog food and 100-plus cans, according to Chandler hot dog shop owner Randy Walters.
Monday Night Movie
Mel Gibson must break out of a Mexican prison to save a 10-year-old boy in the 2012 action flick “Get the Gringo,” this week’s Monday Night Movie at SanTan Brewing. Enjoy a pint of the downtown Chandler brewery’s just-tapped seasonal Count Hopula blood-red imperial IPA along with free popcorn. The movie starts at 9.
Liberty Market continues its month-long lineup of specialty burgers:
- Today: Quinoa Sliders (quinoa-and-cheese patties)
- Tuesday: Meatballer (meatballs on demi-baguette, pictured)
- Wednesday: BBQ Cheddar Bacon Burger
- Thursday: Dessert Burger (vanilla cupcake “bun” with brownie “burger”)
- Friday: The Reuben (topped with pastrami, 1000 Island, Swiss and sauerkraut)
Cheers to the Classroom
Teachers are invited to the second annual Cheers to the Classroom supplies giveaway today at Four Peaks Brewing in Tempe. From 5-7, show your school ID and get a bag of pencils, paper, markers, Kleenex, Post-Its, zip-lock bags and other essentials. Teacher also can get “buy one, get one free” beers.
Beat the Heat beer festival
If you’re planning to attend the third annual Beat the Heat WinterFest beer festival Aug. 24-25 at The Venue in Old Town Scottsdale, Living Social has a cheap-ticket deal today. Get admission for two for just $25 (normally $50) here.
Don’t miss the latest East Valley food & drink news! Get a daily MXSW email update here.