MXSW ethics policy
MXSW is a proponent of full transparency in food writing:
• Coverage of newsworthy information or events involving any East Valley restaurant or bar is provided free of charge. Determination of newsworthiness is based on multiple factors, including the number of events in any given week.
• MXSW does not publish traditional restaurant reviews, recognizing they are simply “snapshots” that may or may not accurately reflect what a restaurant offers on a daily basis.
• MXSW does not accept free food and drink in exchange for coverage. MXSW sometimes accepts free admittance to food & drink festivals or other events in order to provide coverage.
• MXSW is supported solely by display ads. There is no product placement or “hidden” advertising. Because all ads are viewable on every story, MXSW feels no need for a disclaimer on posts in which an advertiser is mentioned.
• Jess Harter occasionally writes for other media outlets on a freelance basis, but has no control over how those assignments may be edited, headlined, or displayed.